| Housing | Electricity | Gas | Water and Sewage|

| Telephones | Garbage Move | Employment |


Private rental housing

◆ Finding Home
  Housing can be located through real estate magazines or with the help of a real estate agent.

◆ Contract and fees
  Contract period is usually two years. A guarantor is required when signing the contract. Both the rentee and the guarantor must sign or stamp their name seals on the contract and in some cases the guarantor may be asked to provide his Seal Certificate too. When signing a contractm there are also many fees to be paid.

1.  Rent (yachin): normally, you have to pay 1 month rent in advance.
2.  Key money (reikin): a non-refundable amount of money to be paid to the landlord after signing the contract, which is usually equivalent to 1 or 2 months rent.
3.  Security deposit (shikikin): this money is held by the landlord while you are renting the accommodation and will be returned to you when you move out, as long as you have made all rent payments and have not damaged the accommodation; normally it is equivalent to 1 or 2 months rent.
4.  Real estate mediation fee (chuukai-ryou): usually equivalent to 1 month rent, it's a non-refundable amount that you have to pay for the real estate agent's mediation service.
5.  Maintenance and management fees (kanri-hi): fees to be paid separately from your rent and required for common space services, such as lighting in stairways and corridors.
6.  Property insurance premiums: normally they must be paid by the rentee when he/she signs the contract; the insurance usually cover fire and flood damage as well.

◆ Furnishings
  Japanese apartments, especially new accommodation, are usually unfurnished. Tenants are responsible for supplying light fixtures, cooking appliances, heating/cooling systems, curtains and, sometimes, kitchen water heaters.

◆ Room classification
  The system of classifying rooms and house sizes is different in Japan, but very simple and convenient. A standard house description could look like this: "2LDK" where each letter refers o a room. "L" refers to a living room, "D" to a dining area, and "K" to a kitchen area. The first number refers to the number of bedrooms the house has. Therefore, "2LDK" means the house has 2 bedrooms, a living room and a dining area with a kitchen.

◆ Room size
  In Japan room sizes are expressed by the number of tatami mats. One tatami mat measures 1.8 x 0.9m (5'10" x 2'11").

◆ Important notes
1.  Before signing the contract, examine lease terms, especially in regard to the fees required.
2.  Check with the landlord before re-decorating or making structural changes.
3.  If you leave your apartment unoccupied for a long period of time, for instance if you go on a vacation, be sure to notify your landlord, custodian and neighbors.
4.  If you want to move out before your contract expires, notify your landlord one month in advance. If you move out without proper notification, you may be charged one month's rent.

Public housing

◆ Housing managed by the municipal administration
  There are about 5,500 apartments managed by the municipal administration in Maebashi. However, since there are many applicants who wish to move in, you usually have to wait some time before you can start living in it. Applications are accepted at any time at the City Hall. The City Hall will notify the applicant who is the first one on the waiting list when there is a vacancy. Sometimes, applicants have to wait for 1-2 years to move in.

Conditions to apply
1.  You must reside or work in Maebashi.
2.  Only those who do not own a real property and do not currently live in a house provided by the municipal administration can apply.
3.  You must move in with your relatives (your soon to be bride or groom is also accepted). In case you plan to move in by yourself you must satisfy one of the following requirements, but please be aware that your apartment choices will be limited to certain complexes.
a) Being at least 60 years old or older.
b) Receiving public income support.
c) Being a person with physical disabilities (1-4 levels).
d) Being a person with mental or intellectual disabilities (1-3 levels).
e) Being a person with an intractable desease who has been granted a claimant certificate for welfare services.
f) Being a victim of domestic violence (a certificate issued by a related organization is required as proof).
4.  You must not have any resident tax installments in arrears.
5.  Your regular income must not exceed the limits decided by the City.
6.  You must have a guarantor in Gunma Prefecture.
7.  You must be able to pay 3 months rent in advance as a security deposit.

Required documents
1.  Move-in Application Form (you can download this form from Maebashi City's homepage).
2.  Health Insurance Cards of all tenants.
3.  Other documents such as your Resident Card, your passport, a Certificate of Earned Income (Shotoku Shoumeisho) and a Certificate of Resident Tax Payment (Juuminzei no Kannou Shoumeisho) are also required depending on applicants' circumstances.

Where to apply
Building and Housing Division (Kenchiku Jutaku-ka),
Maebashi City Office (8F)
TEL: 027-898-6833

◆ Prefectural housing
  The conditions and the documents for moving in the public houses provided by the Prefectural Government differ from the ones applied to the houses provided my Maebashi City. Please inquire Gunma Housing Supply Corporation for further details.

Where to apply
Gunma Housing Supply Corporation (Google Maps)
Jutaku Kosha Bldg. 2F,
1-7-12 Koun-cho, Maebashi 〒371-0025
TEL: 027-224-1881


| Housing | Electricity | Gas | Water and Sewage|

| Telephones | Garbage Move | Employment |